Publication Date 2013
Size (mm) 152.4 x 228.6 x 13
Discover South Calgary in a different way, by getting off the train at one of the eleven South Stations and going exploring. View historic buildings in older communities and stroll along pathways in new residential areas. Visit natural areas, ponds, escarpments and more.
The thirty-eight walks vary from 2.1 km to 12.3 km in length.
Some walks begin and end at the station. Some walks are one way with a bus ride either to or from the station.
Some walks require a bus ride to and from the start and finish of the walk.
In 1979 construction began on a 12.5 km light rail transit line from 8th Street West downtown south to Anderson Road. The LRT made its inaugural run on this line on May 25th, 1981. The South line was then extended two more stations to Canyon Meadows and Fish Creek-Lacombe in 2001. Another two stations were added to the South line in 2004 as the line was extended to Shawnessy and Somerset-Bridlewood Stations.
Photos – clockwise from upper left (Somerset Square, Inverness Pond, Ogden Hotel (Alyth Lodge), Ramsay School, Cliff Bungalow School, Roxboro Glen Road Park).
List of Walks
Victoria Park/Stampede Station
- Stampede Park & Elbow River Pathway
- Ramsay & Scotsman’s Hill
- Mission 2 & 4th Streets
- Mission & Cliff Bungalow
- Reader Rock Gardens & Cemetery Hill
- Cliff Bungalow
- Rideau Park & Roxboro
39th Avenue Station
- Parkhill & Elbow Park
- Stanley Park, River Park & Sandy Beach
- North Glenmore Park
- Carburn Park & Riverbend
- Lynnwood Ridge & Beaverdam Flats Park
- Ogden & Millican Estates
- East Glenmore Park & Heritage Town Square
- Heritage Park
- Weaselhead Flats Natural Area
- Palliser, Oakridge & South Glenmore Park
- Woodbine & Woodlands
- Douglasdale Pathway
- McKenzie Lake Loop
Canyon Meadows Station
- Babbling Brook Park
- Parkland, Bow Valley Ranch & Glennfield
- Mallard Point to Eric Harvie Bridge
- Mallard Point to Bow Valley Ranch
- Bow Valley Ranch & Hull’s Wood
Fish Creek-Lacombe Station
- Evergreen Bluffs to Fish Creek-Lacombe Station
- Evergreen Estates
- South Fish Creek Pond
- Bridlewood to Somerset-Bridlewood Station
- Sikome Lake & Lafarge Meadows
- Cranston Escarpment
- Chinook Rotary Nature Park
- McKenzie Towne
- Copperfield Ponds
- New Brighton